On this week, thirty years ago, The Police’s single, “Every Breath You Take” became Number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
Other Fun and Interesting Facts:
- “Every Breath You Take” remained Number 1 for an additional 8 weeks.
- The song went on to win the Grammy for “Song Of The Year” in 1984. Beating out Lionel Richie’s “All Night Long”, Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” and “Beat It” as well as Michael Sembello & Dennis Matkosky’s “Maniac”
- It’s been sampled and/or covered by other recording artist at least 26 times.
- Between Diddy’s remake and the original, the song has a combined total of 19 weeks as Number 1 on the Top 100.
- “Every Breath You Take” is not a love song. It’s actually about a stalker. Sting wrote the song after separating from his first wife.
The Police and Sting were iconic in the 1980s. Sting is still going strong today with his solo career, but this song brings back some great memories watching this video. Ahhh, the 80’s.
What songs by The Police are your favorites? Leave a comment.